5) Pitch Black Heist Inspired Short Film - The Screenplay

After watching the short film, 'Pitch Black Heist', my new task was to create a black and white film with two connecting characters and a dramatic, unexpected twist, reminiscent of the film. Below is the screenplay used for my film:



WONDERFUL WORLD
EXT: (follow STUDENT walking to detention classroom; ‘What a Wonderful World’ by Louis Armstrong plays in his earphones)

INT: (clock; 1 hr left till detention ends)

STUDENT:
 (takes off earphones; music fades)
TEACHER:
Sit down, make yourself comfortable.
STUDENT:
You know what? I shouldn’t even be in here right now; it wasn’t me who started that damn fight. I should be at home. Relaxing.
TEACHER:
I told you to sit down. Now.
STUDENT:
(reluctantly takes off his bag, violently kicks back chair and sits in it)
Happy now?
TEACHER:
Yes, very. So… let’s talk.
STUDENT:
What the hell do you want to talk about?
TEACHER:
(sighs calmly) Life. School? Anything you want. It stays between us and these four walls, I promise you.
STUDENT:
And why should I tell you anything? I’m not dense, I know you don’t care, all you want is money. You and every other teacher in this school. Spare me the sympathy.
TEACHER:
Believe it or not, I care. Once upon a time, when I was your age, I was just like you. Messing with my life, not caring about anyone or anything around me. I did so many things, things that I regret now to this day. I made the biggest mistake of my life while I was in school…
(looks off into the distance, daydreaming)
STUDENT:
I didn’t ask for your life story, lady. Let me just go home.
TEACHER:
Listen to me. You don’t know what you’re doing to yourself right now. You have no idea what your attitude is doing to your future. Don’t mess this up…some people don’t get second chances.
STUDENT:
Since you wanna ask me all these questions about my life, let me ask you…What mistake was it that you made?
TEACHER:
(stays silent)
You don’t need to know.
(long silence, then TEACHER claps her hands)
Right, I know what you can do to fill your time. I want you to write me an essay about your life. From your birth to now. Tell me anything, it stays between us, you have my word.
STUDENT:
(groans, annoyed)
For God’s sake, no.
 TEACHER:
Yes. Write about how you got here. Your childhood, your family, friends, anything. Just write.
STUDENT:
Whatever. I’ll only do it because I’m bored. There’s not much you need to know about my life anyway.
(STUDENT starts writing, proceeds to for 10 mins)
TEACHER:
(hums the song)
STUDENT:
(looks up curiously, then looks back down and continues writing)
(gets up and gives TEACHER his essay)
TEACHER:
I think you deserve to go home and relax now. Off you go.
STUDENT:
(throws door open and leaves classroom, mumbles under his breath)
See you never.
TEACHER:
(picks up paper, and reads essay silently.Her eyes widen and she looks back up at the door the STUDENT just left in)

EXT: STUDENT is outside the school building, lights a cigarette, blows and walks off)
SONG PLAYS AGAIN through his earphones



END

Comments